Monday, May 11, 2009

Justifying Leaving

      It’s the little things that I will miss the most about Bocas del Toro and our island life.  But there are a few things that I won’t miss that I can laugh about when remembering our day to day life on Isle Colon….Numero Uno, “Weed, weed, weed, Coke!”   Ok, this definitely needs an explanation.  I did not smoke weed or do coke while here but there is one dude on the main street that rides around on his bike bombarding tourists or gringos saying loudly in his island accent “weed, weed, weed, coke.”  Justin and I would laugh every time actually quite annoyed at how many repeat offers we would get from the same guy.  I mean really if we don’t want it the first time we probably don’t want it the hundredth time.  He never got the picture.  We never bought weed or coke.

      The lack of stable water in our apartment was another thing that I won’t miss terribly.  We lived on the bottom floor of a new complex of four apartments being built.  Near the end of our months stay in the apartment the water situation turned from being on about 70% of the time in the beginning to being off about 70% of the time.  We got used to having a nice little island stench all the time…. But not being able to clean the dishes after a big meal or flush the toilets kind of created a nasty little bug problem…

     Ok, and for the sake of not bitching in too long of a rampant, I’ll just list a few of the other things that I will not miss too much about island life

3. Taxi cabs who seem to be on a mission to run people over on the streets

4. The rock gang of little kids by the airport who like to throw rocks at people walking by

5. The stench of sewer smell that permeates the air after a rainstorm

6. The scary little girl that worked at the Chino near our school (She freaked Justin out every time lol)

7. And last but not least the constant refusal of boat tours every single day.  We’ve already been on one and don’t need to go again!     

          Other than these little things, I’d say Bocas del Toro is going to be a place I’m going to miss incredibly.  I have to bitch just because near the end it’s these little things that made it bearable to leave our paradise.  It really was a fabulous month.  We had beauty at our fingeMay Panama 007rtips, a wonderful little home (even if it wasn’t perfect), a part time job for an awesome place with awesome people, a language school that turned into our second home, and each other to laugh with, cook together, and experience the culture of Bocas with. 

May Panama 008

May Panama 030May Panama 104 May Panama 012

1. Mondo Taitu sign

2.Me, Justin, and Dave (Mondo Owner)

3. Me and Ronan (my Spanish Classmate at our BBQ)

4. Reike and her friend at Mondo

 

      We just arrived in Panama City after a long night bus ride.  I’m currently sitting at the pub table at my parents condo in Paitilla.  Air Conditioning, nice sheets, a nice kitchen, two bathrooms, a balcony, etc….Basically we’re getting a taste of luxury for a few days.  It should be nice. 

    After a day of recovery it’s back to the grind.  I’ll be continuing my language study as well as working on a business idea that Justin and I have been conjuring up.  Things are great!  I’m happy, we’re happy : )   I hope all is beautiful at home…Love, Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment